In reviewing the history of Instagram, you will discover that the website was highly successful – right from the start. Two months immediately following its launch, Instagram had a total of 1 million users! Instagram is an online social networking service that allows users to take and share photographs and videos.
Once the pictures and/or videos are taken, the platform allows users to then share those media types on other types of social networking websites.
Examples of the social media platforms most often used by Instagram users include Twitter, Flickr, Facebook, and Tumblr. The most distinctive characteristic of the images taken and shared in this social network service is that they are confined to a specific square shape. This makes the image look similar to the images from Polaroid and the Instamatic camera from Kodak.
In reviewing the history of Instagram, you will find that the service was created and launched in the year 2010 by two men, Mike Krieger and Kevin Systrom. The service originated as a mobile app that was free to users. Rapidly, it gained an immense amount of popularity. As of January 2015, there were well over 300 million users and those users share well over 70 million images and videos, each and every single day. Back in April of 2012, Facebook acquired Instagram for $1 billion between cash money and stocks. By 2013, Instagram had grown by 23%, despite Facebook only growing a total of 3% the same year. What originated as a very simple app for sharing photos is now considered to be a worldwide community of both consumers and companies.
In a recent study conducted by Forrester, 3 million different internet user interactions that included well over 2,500 brand-related posts on seven different social media networks were analyzed. The conclusion of the study indicated that on six out of seven of the social media platforms researched, the brands experienced less than .1% when it came to engagement rates. Facebook and Twitter were two of the platforms that received low engagement percentages. The engagement rate on Instagram was an amazing 4.21%. Based on these figures, it was established that Instagram delivers at least 58 times more of an engagement per user than the ever-popular Facebook and 120 times more of an engagement per user than Twitter! If you have a business and review the history of Instagram, you are sure to find that placing your brand on the social media service will optimize your overall success!
@ Mentions and Ever-Popular Hashtags
According to the history of Instagram, @ mentions and including hashtags in the captions of images and videos posted on the service result in 56% more active engagement among users. It is a known fact that the brands that elect to utilize Instagram place a high focus on ensuring that captions are kept to a limit. The average of a caption is currently 138 characters, and this includes @ mentions and the ever-popular hashtags. When Simply Mentioned conducted a study, they discerned that when it comes to text length and user engagement rate, there is very little correlation. Thehistory of Instagram shows us that text length does not have as much of an impact as the caption message, itself. If adding @ mentions and hashtags, it is imperative to ensure that you only add those that are considered to be relevant to your posts and absolutely authentic.
Location, Location, Location
By now, you understand that, through the history of Instagram, high levels of engagement is one of the most beneficial aspects to creating an account for your business and using the account to building your brand. One of the most productive measures that may be taken in order to increase your brand engagement by up to 79% is to add a location in your posts. The built-in Instagram Photo Maps within the service will allow you to place locations on your images and videos. By adding a location, you are providing Instagram users with a positive and productive means of discovering your content on the World Wide Web. If you choose to add a location, you will need to turn on the Photo Maps feature. This is not turned on by default.
The Secret to Backgrounds and Color Selections
If you choose to put your brand on Instagram, there are many unique ways to utilize the service to promote your brand. However, if you want to achieve high levels of success, it is important to know the secret to backgrounds and color selections on your posts. A study by Curalate did an examination of well over 30 image-based features over more than 8 million different images on the app. According to this study, the following was determined:
- If an image has a very high level of light, it is likely to produce up to 24% more likes than those images that are considered to be dark.
- Images that have a lot of background space will generate at least 29% more likes than images that have closed background spaces.
- Images with mostly blue generate 24% or more likes than images that contain mostly red.
- When one color is considered to be dominant in an image, it produces 17% or more likes than images that contain a vast array of colors.
- If a lot of texture is featured in an image, it is likely to produce 79% or more likes than images that lack any type of texture or only small amounts of texture.
Signing Up for Instagram
The history of Instagram shows us that it is not only a widely popular service among internet users, but, it is a popular service used by brands. If you own and/or operate a business, you have the ability to promote your products and/or services on this platform. In this guide, you have received numerous inside secrets on how to make your brand stand out and succeed on this platform. Now, it is time to learn how to sign up and get started:
- 1. The first step to acquiring an Instagram account is ensuring that you have the means necessary to use the mobile app. Currently, this may be downloaded on the phones that have the IOS and Android technology. It may also be used on phones that have the Windows 8 versions or later. You may also use a tablet to access Instagram. Once you have determined that you have an appropriate device, you may then sign up for the account on one of those devices; however, you will not be able to view or engage on Instagram on a regular computer until sign up has been performed on the mobile device.
- 2. Download the Instagram App from either the Windows Phone Store, the App Store, or from the Google Play Store. Once you download and install the app, move on to the next step.
- 3. You will first be required to tap the option, “Sign Up”. You may then put in your email address or choose to “Log In with Facebook”.
- 4. Once you have completed the previous step, you will either need to create a username and password, if you registered with an email, or simply fill out your profile and select “Done”.
Once you have followed the steps outlined above, you will have your own Instagram account. Remember, it is a service that promotes the posting and sharing of images and videos. To make the most of your experience and to successfully build your brand, follow the tips and techniques that you discovered throughout this article. Before too long, you will find that your brand develops a solid reputation, your target audience likes and follows you, and your business experiences a high level of success. The history of Instagram has proven to us that all of this – and, MORE – is possible!