In reviewing the history of Pinterest, you are sure to stumble across the names, Ben Silbermann, Paul Sciarra, and Evan Sharp. In November of 2009, these individuals initiated the build of Pinterest. During the Thanksgiving holidays, Ben Silbermann’s wife came up with the name “Pinterest”.
During the months of January and February 2010, these individuals sent out invitations to their friends to sign up for the site. Initially, Ben recalls, the “numbers were terrible”; however, since its official launch in March of 2010, Pinterest now has approximately 73 million users, worldwide. The history of Pinterest is an intriguing collection of ideas, challenges, and successes.
In order to truly understand and appreciate the value of Pinterest, you must first learn about the website. Basically, it is a type of visual-based bookmarking tool that aids internet users in discovering and saving a wide assortment of creative ideas. Many individuals consider Pinterest to be a social media platform where internet users may socialize and share their ideas with one another.
The purpose and intent behind Pinterest is to assist internet users in discovering things – new things, interesting things, all sorts of things –and inspire those people to pursue, do, and engage in those things in their day-to-day lives. The individuals behind the development of Pinterest are striving to construct the very first and the absolute largest discovery search engine within the world.
If you have an interest in the history of Pinterest, it is essential that you learn a few basic facts about the site. Currently, Pinterest has over 500 employees. The headquarters is located in San Francisco, California. The site has physical offices in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, and Atlanta within the United States. There are also physical offices in other areas of the world – Sao Paulo, London, Tokyo, Paris, and Berlin.
Pinterest is found on several different platforms. Currently, those platforms include iOS, the World Wide Web, and Android. The site is now available in over 30 different languages, worldwide. While Pinterest originated as a place for personal “pinning” and sharing, many businesses are starting to take advantage of the marketing power of the site. If you have a business and are currently creating an online marketing plan, continue reading on how this amazingly powerful site may help you achieve massive levels of success on the World Wide Web.
Pins and Boards
Pinterest is a specially-designed social sharing platform that allows internet users to pin a variety of images directly from existing websites and/or repin the pins that are currently in existence. The users on the platform add the images that they choose to special boards that are typically organized on a specific theme. Examples of themes include, but, are not at all limited to, “Holidays”, “Recipes”, “Shopping”, and “Parenting”. Each of the pins placed within a certain board act as a visual-based link back to the website in which it originated. When an internet user stumbles across that pin and discover that they are interested in it, they may click it to visit the original website to explore more content that will be appealing to them. Pins may link back to a blog, a recipe database, a traditional website, or to a retailer’s site.
Optimize Your Business for Success
Based on data derived from Alexa Internet Inc., Pinterest is the 13th most visited of all websites within the United States. Numerous studies and hours of research have established that the internet users that actively use Pinterest hold a higher level of value to online businesses than users that actively engage on other types of social media platforms, such as Twitter and Facebook.
It has been determined that internet users on Pinterest are more likely to actively engage in brands, search for products and/or services that they want and/or require, and buy more once they click on a pin to go back to the originating business website.
Businesses are consistently optimizing their business for success by using Pinterest to create brand recognition, build trust among consumers, and introduce new products. The businesses currently receiving the highest level of success on the platform include Nordstrom Inc., L.L Bean Inc., and Bourbon & Boots Inc., according to the statistics surrounding the history of Pinterest.
If you are ready to get your business on Pinterest, it is time to start the sign up process. It is really very simple. Essentially, there are only three steps involved in this task. They are as follows:
- 1. First, you will need to visit Pinterest for Business and create an account. By taking this step, internet users will be able to discover your business on the platform.
- 2. The second step to setting up a business account is to simply enter in the website that you are attempting to promote and to confirm that site. This allows you immediate access to the analytics surrounding your website and will allow you to add your logo to absolutely any pin on Pinterest that originates from your website.
- 3. Finally, you will need to add the ever-popular “Pin It” button onto your website and/or blog. This will allow other internet users and Pinterest members to share the images and information from your website.
Steps to Success
In reviewing the history of Pinterest, you will discover many common steps that were taken among businesses that have experienced the highest level of success. By taking these steps, your business is sure to experience the same level of success:
- 1. The first step to using Pinterest to maximize the success of your business is to ensure that you pin images that display the highest level of quality. In order to make the most of your marketing efforts on the platform, it is imperative to create highly compelling images. This platform is highly visual and your business must keep that in mind in using it for marketing purposes.
- 2. You must keep in mind that internet users access Pinterest on standard computers, laptop computers, AND mobile devices. The images that you elect to pin should be sized appropriately so that they not only stand out on all devices, but, they receive more attention. The ideal size, to date, is 736 pixels by a size of 1128 pixels.
- 3. In order to make your pins more visible and shareable on Pinterest, you should display your products with a variety of backgrounds. It is also important to show the products being used from a distance and up close and personal. These types of pins have a standard repin rate of 2.44 compared to the overall repin rate of images that lack these qualities of 0.45.
- 4. Based on statistics, 20% of all pins come from an originating website and the other 80% are already on the Pinterest network. In order to ensure that all of your products are listed, you should ensure that you focus your efforts on getting images of absolutely every single product that you specialize.
- 5. According to the history of Pinterest, businesses that post on a regular basis perform optimally compared to businesses that do not post very often. You should aim to pin anywhere from 25-40 pins of your products daily and space the pins out.
- 6. Your business should keep tabs on the latest trends and create boards, accordingly. Your pins should be more than just about your products and/or services. You should create your account to surround a common theme on a larger scale and break down that theme by individually-created boards.
- 7. You should ensure that your Pinterest account is considered to be engaging and accessible. You should create pinning contests, create partnerships with bloggers that may curate content for you, and similar activities.
In reviewing the history of Pinterest, you will discover a unique story and many successes. This is especially true among businesses. Brands that understand the basic nature and the unlimited possibilities associated with Pinterest are considered to be in the absolute best position to use the platform for social sharing marketing purposes.
Simply create a business account, optimize the content on your account to fit the overall nature of the social sharing platform, and pay special attention to how other brands use Pinterest to master the platform, and your business has the potential to achieve higher levels of success than you ever thought possible.
By combining the history of Pinterest to the current marketing trends of today, your business has the capability of reaching new heights!